Update Request and possible improvements

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Hello tomvangaever,

Have you had a chance to update this project? Specifically I was wondering about the following.
  • Adding a configuration option to allow custom log paths. IE: D:\foo\logs
  • One of the following:
  • - Moving the "Correlation ID Viewer" from "Site Actions" on all sites that it is enabled on to only central admin.
  • - Or, allowing the "Correlation ID Viewer" Site Actions button to only be seen by site collection administrators
  • The log load time when looking up a Correlation ID
  • Being able to use this in a multi-server enviroment where we can select which server we want to see logs from, or just all logs across all servers.
  • Filtering options to help narrow down category, level, process, etc.
The last two there would be really benificial to small team enviroments or where developers may not have direct access to the server/logs to see why an end user is encountering a specific error with a correlation id. And of course, on a production enviroment, we'd want to only allow certian people to see this.

Anyways, I was just wondering about the current status and if there was any plans for these updates.

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2014 at 8:49 AM
There are no plans on updates because the SP2013 developer dashboard shows the ULS log entries so this feature is part of the newer version of the product.

Hope it helps!
Marked as answer by tomvangaever on 3/19/2014 at 1:49 AM
May 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM
This code doesn't work if you changed your log file location to another drive. So, I changed the code in the SPCorrelationIDService.cs to pull it from the diagnostic log class:
    public static DataView GetLogs(Guid correlationId)
    {
        DataView uls = null;
        SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(delegate()
        {
            SPCorelationIDService service = new SPCorelationIDService();
            SPDiagnosticsService diagSvc = SPDiagnosticsService.Local;//added 5/21/1014 jabeck
            string ulsLogLocation = diagSvc.LogLocation;//added 5/21/1014 jabeck

uls = service.GetLogsByCorrelationId(correlationId, ulsLogLocation);//modified 5/21/1014 jabeck
            //uls = service.GetLogsByCorrelationId(correlationId, SPUtility.GetGenericSetupPath("LOGS"));//was this
        });
        return uls;
    }